Two Year Conservatory Program
New York Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program)
The new Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program) has been redesigned to address shifting realities in the actor-training market in New York City, while maintaining some of the structural choices made by Lee Strasberg during his time as Artistic Director of the Institute.
The Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program) is dedicated to providing enrolled students with a concentrated, conservatory-style program that leads each individual toward a specific level of technique and actor training. Through there are no guarantees of success beyond the program itself, students should leave with a solid foundation in Lee Strasberg’s Method Acting technique, as well as a strong idea about how to move forward with their careers and tackle pursuant artistic challenges.
Please note the application deadlines for all U.S. citizens, U.S. permanent residents, and holders of other U.S. visas valid for full-time study (not tourist visas):
- Winter 2014: December 9, 2013
- Spring 2014: March 17, 2014
- Summer 2014: June 9, 2014
- Fall 2014: September 8, 2014
Please note the application deadlines for all international students (except citizens of Canada):
- Winter 2014: October 28, 2013
- Spring 2014: February 3, 2014
- Summer 2014: April 28, 2014
- Fall 2014: July 21, 2014
Students in this full-time Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program) must take the following classes each session:
- 2 Method Acting classes (4 hours each- for a total of 8 hours)
- 1 Voice class (2 hours)
- 1 Movement class (2 hours)
- 1 Theatre History class (2 hours)
- Elective classes (8 hours)
See Classes for a full list of potential class offerings.
It is required that students complete their initial three semesters of this program consecutively. A student may take one semester off before completing their final three semesters, or the student has the choice of completing all six semesters in succession.
Upon successful completion of the Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program), students will receive a formal Certificate of Merit. A student’s successful completion of this program will be deemed as such at the sole discretion of the Institute.
Each semester students must be in excellent standing with the Institute in order to progress from one semester to the next. Students will be deemed in excellent standing with the Institute at the sole discretion of the Institute’s administration.
The Institute’s administration reserves the right to dismiss a student at any time from this program without a tuition refund, or to switch to another Institute program, if the administration deems so necessary.
- Tuition for the Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program) is $33,150* ($150 non-refundable registration fee already included).
- The tuition may be paid all at once, or in 6 installments, each installment always to be paid before the start of each session. Installments require an additional $150 non-refundable registration fee with each new session.
- An additional $100/session fee applies to all international registrations. An additional $90 FedEx rate will apply to facilitate visa documents.
Students who wish to successfully complete the Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program) must complete an initial 9 months of consecutive study and be in excellent standing with the Institute for the entire 18 months of the program. International students who wish to also be eligible for OPT (Optional Practical Training) must complete an initial 9 months of consecutive study and be in excellent standing with the Institute for the entire 18 months of the program. Students will be deemed in excellent standing with the Institute at the sole discretion of the Institute’s administration.
The Twelve Week Program, One Year Conservatory and Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program) commence on all of the same session start dates listed below:
- Fall 2013 Session- September 16th- December 14th
- Winter 2014 Session- January 6th – March 29th
- Spring 2014 Session- March 31st- June 21st
- Summer 2014 Session- June 23rd- August 29th
- Fall 2014 Session- September 15th- December 13th
Once accepted please note- Students are not guaranteed that they will get the schedule of their choice because Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program) students who are paid in full receive priority registration each semester, therefore once classes reach capacity, they will be closed. Please note that “paid in full” is defined as having paid for the entire program in one lump sum.
Once students have completed the program please note- Depending on classes taken, students have the potential to earn 60 credits from Strasberg upon completion of the Two Year Conservatory (Certificate Program). Please note that every college, university, or other higher education institution has its own policy for the transference of credits, so the Institute cannot assure that credits earned at Strasberg will be universally accepted. Students are to contact their specific higher education institution to enquire about possible credit transfers from The Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute.